Back-End Developer - Playlab
Do you consider yourself a dynamic and team-oriented developer? Do you want to work on building the backend for mobile apps and games that millions of people download and use? If you answered YES to both questions, Playlab wants you to join our team as a Software Engineer!
As a Back-end Engineer, your prime responsibility will be to design, create and support features needed in our games and mobile apps, working together with systems engineers on the team to ensure reliability and scalability of the platform. In this role you will get to code on a big new social game project we have in the works as well as future upcoming projects and titles.
You will be working with technologies such as Node.js, Ruby (mostly RoR), eventmachine, MySQL, Redis and Cassandra. We are however not set on these technologies and they will most likely change in the future - we envision you are someone who takes pride in your work, with a passion for tech and you will ideally be taking part in figuring out which technology to bring in next.
What you should know about us
We are a leading Bangkok game studio with a fun, creative team and a game catalog that includes titles such as DreamWalker, Jungle Cubes and Juice Cubes (23mil+ downloads). We obviously look for people who are technically skilled, but equally value creativity, curiosity, responsibility and team player mentality.
Playlab, remains a game studio first, but have since our acquisition by Chilindo also shifted part of our focus to building eCommerce apps. We are now looking to expand the backend team with more talented developers to help move the company and business forward. For this role you can expect to get to work on projects related to both sides of the business, working on the backend for mobile games as well as eCommerce apps related to Chilindo.
What you will be doing
- Improving and supporting the current backend systems;
- Collaborate with the System Architect to design, implement, test and support new backend features;
- Making sure our backend is of great quality - avoiding any down time;
- Get hands-on experience with building a scalable backend;
- Building solid platforms for our game developers to build great games on-top of;
- Investigating and implementing new technologies to improve our service;
- Creating back-end for new games and apps from scratch;
- Help develop and maintain integrations and best practices documentation;
- Improving the algorithms behind one of the fastest growing startups in Southeast Asia
What you should have
- At least 5 years of working experiences building games and similar back-end solutions;
- Knowledge in HTTP and TCP/IP;
- Experience building or consuming Web Services (REST, OAuth);
- Experience with cloud technologies;
- Experience with Unix flavored O/S;
- Strong experience with setting up continuous integration infrastructure using TeamCity, Jenkins, etc;
- Experience with troubleshooting and debugging tools such as Fiddler, Wireshark Chrome DevTools, etc;
- Extensive Experience in backend development with Node.js, Ruby, and other object-oriented languages on mobile;
- Extensive experience developing reusable API’s and services.
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale.
- Experience with distributed caching solutions
- Considerable knowledge and application of design patterns.
- Experience in scripting languages, i.e. Lua or Python is desirable.
- Ability to write clean and easily understandable code that follow the SOLID principles;
- Experience with Server management, Open Source contributions and/or TDD is a plus;
- Good communication skills both oral and written
What we look for in all new employees
- Ability to take ownership, gets things done and think about the long-term impact of your work
- An eagerness and desire for continuous learning;
- Fun to be around even when all systems have gone haywire.
- We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance;
- Be part of a truly international environment, 30+ Nationalities
- Competitive salary package based on skills and experience.
- Free catered lunch with a new menu every day;
- Wear what you want, be your unique self at work;
- Awesome office location in the heart of Bangkok, nearby Ekkamai BTS Station
- Visa, Work Permit and relocation support provided for expats.
- We are a leading game developer & publisher, capable of producing social games from inception to completion. We are the home of popular game titles Juice Cubes and Jungle Cubes, with many more on the way! In four years of mobile game development, our games have achieved over 25 million downloads around the world.